Relax and Rejuvinate: Tips for Managing Stress
Life is unpredictable, so there is no way to completely eliminate stress. The important thing is to make sure you are managing the stresses you do have rather than being overwhelmed by them. Being stressed out for long periods of time has a negative impact on your overall health and can put you at a higher risk for depression, anxiety, heart disease, high blood pressure, chest pain, trouble sleeping, problems with intercourse, upset stomach, and more.
The key is to stop stress before it takes over your mind and body. Below are five ways you can manage your stress:
- Get support from loved ones. Meet up with a family member, call a friend, or find someone you can share your feelings with. Make sure you choose someone you can trust and be completely open with. Look for someone who will understand what you’re going through and who is not involved in the issue. For example, if your family is causing you stress, don’t speak with another family member about it. Instead, ask a friend to join you for lunch and share your feelings with them instead.
- Get away from whatever is stressing you out for a moment. Allow yourself to step away, take time to do something else, and come back to it. This can give you time to change your perspective or determine a new way to approach the issue that may make it easier. Remember – your break should be brief. Do not avoid the stressor altogether.
- Make time in your schedule for fitness. Exercise is great for your body, but it is also good for your mind. Even taking 30 minutes out of your day to go for a walk can improve the level of endorphins in your body and improve your mood, making it easier to deal with a stressful situation.
- Limit the amount of alcohol and caffeine you consume each day. Having too much of these can make stress and anxiety more difficult to deal with. Additionally, it can make it harder to get a good night’s sleep. Having enough rest is important when you’re feeling overwhelmed.
- Try to determine what triggers your stress. If you’re feeling anxious, write down the cause in a journal. This way you can see if there are any patterns developing and then work to address the root of the issue. Doing so can help you find better ways to cope and perhaps even avoid the stressor in the future.
What things do you do to deal with stress in your life? Share your tips with others in the comments.