Heart-healthy Meals Your Family Will Love
Preparing a delicious, nutritious and heart-healthy dinner that satisfies every member of your family can be a challenge.
Start by making small changes to transform some of your family favorites into heart-healthy meals. Here are some tips:
- Trade ground beef for ground turkey
- Instead of frying chicken or fish, bread it in corn flakes and bake or broil it for the same crunchy texture
- Use whole grain pasta
- Substitute two egg whites for a whole egg
- Spray the pan with olive oil instead of coating it with melted butter or vegetable oil
- Substitute plain Greek yogurt for sour cream
You can also mix a few new recipes into your weekly menu to spice things up. Here are three heart-healthy recipes that will have your family joining the clean-plate club.
- Risotto with Shrimp and Vegetables – This recipe is bursting with flavor and packed with protein, but is low in calories.
- Southwestern Chicken – This spicy dish is as colorful as it is tasty. It’s also easy to make and reheats well for leftovers.
- Chutney Salmon – Salmon, a superfood, is delicious when topped with mango chutney. Pair it with fresh, steamed vegetables and it’s the perfect meal.
Check out these resources for even more recipes:
- The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute’s free eBook Deliciously Healthy Family Meals
- The American Heart Association’s Healthy Family Meals
Recommended review by a cardiologist or dietitian