National Nutrition Month: Quick Facts You Should Know About Healthy Eating
Healthy eating habits can make a huge impact on your overall health. By focusing on nutritious meals, you can feel good knowing that your body is getting the vitamins and minerals it needs, while also maintaining a healthy weight.
Keep these five facts in mind to make simple changes to your diet and improve your health.
- Make sure fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and seeds are eaten every day. You should try to eat five servings of vegetables and two servings of fruit each day to benefit from fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Using a steamer is a great way to lock in the nutrients. The suggested intake of grains varies by your age and gender, so check with your doctor for personalized recommendations. Whole grains contain more fiber, healthier fats, and higher levels of vitamins B and E.
- Stick with healthier fats and oils. Many people think all fats are bad, but your body needs some fat to stay healthy. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are healthier because they increase the good cholesterol in your body. This helps lower your risk of developing heart disease. Skip foods with high saturated or trans fats and go for oily fish, lean meats, eggs, seeds, nuts, and olives.
- Limit your sugar intake. While your body does need sugar for energy, naturally occurring sugars like the ones found in fruits and vegetables are the best. Avoid consuming food and drinks high in sugar like soft drinks, fruit drinks, and sugary desserts.
- Drink water most often. Your body needs water for blood to carry nutrients through the body and for the chemical reactions that occur within our cells. Because of this, we should consume water throughout the day. If it is hot outside or you are exercising, water is even more important. Without water, you can experience headaches, confusion, irritability, and lack of concentration.
- Eat foods from all five of the food groups. There is no one food that can provide your body with all of the nutrients it needs, so combine foods to get the biggest benefits. Keep in mind the recommended daily servings of each of the main food groups so your body can get what it needs, and you can maintain a healthy diet.
What are your favorite tips for healthy eating? Share them in the comments.