Five Tips for Minimizing Stress this Holiday Season
It’s easy to look forward to the fun that comes with the holiday season, but oftentimes we forget that this time of year can also bring about a lot of stress. Whether you’re traveling to see family or hosting a big dinner at your home, finding the right balance is important. Beat the stress this year with these five tips.
- Get organized. Having a to-do list mapped out for the days or weeks ahead can not only help you divide tasks evenly throughout the week, but also allow you to stay focused on what needs to be done. This way, you won’t find yourself scrambling to finish everything in the last day or two and you’re less likely to forget anything.
- Don’t skip meals. It can be tempting to pass on breakfast or lunch because you have so many things to get done, but it is important to eat regularly. Not only does it stabilize your blood sugar, but it also keeps you energized. Having something to snack on will help you maintain focus so you can get everything done without feeling exhausted halfway through.
- Maintain your sleep schedule. Having enough rest makes it much easier for you to control your emotions the following day. Adults should get seven to nine hours of sleep each night. Don’t forget that the quality of sleep is also important, so make sure you eliminate any distractions like the television or cell phone.
- Leave time for exercise. When you work out, your brain releases endorphins into your body that enhance your mood and can assist with stress relief. Try to get at least 20 minutes of exercise in several days a week. You don’t have to have a gym membership – work out wherever you can! Try an at-home exercise routine or go for a walk in your neighborhood.
- Remember to relax. Schedule in time each day for yourself where you aren’t worrying about anything. Stretch, do yoga, read a book, meditate, or partake in any other activity that calms your mind. This gives you some time to collect yourself and reenergize for any of the remaining tasks that need to be completed throughout the day.
What is your favorite way to minimize stress during the holidays? Let us know in the comments below.